Thursday, December 8, 2011

POST-PLAY HANG-OVER: Unang Ulan ng Mayo

It [this hang-over] started a week ago. I was invited to watch a play that was cast by our university's theater group (since I am their critique-wait, is "reviewer" a better term?). Well, wait. I don't know whether to call it invitation or a requirement. The story was written by Palanca awardee JIE Teodoro.

This story is about Victor, a young man who was afflicted with polio during his younger days. One day he met Efren, his father's "godson". Slowly, Victor fell head over heels with Efren and twists happen.

I can probably say that this story is close to me. I am not a relative of the author, neither am I a part of the casting. It is close to me since it is a story about homosexuality and paternal society.

Oh! Haven't I told you? I'm a homosexual [or probably that is what I was thinking. I am actually confused where I am between homosexual and bisexual]. Anyway, back to the play. It showed me hope - that people like me can still have a romantic life, even for a short while.

The play was well done; and apparently, my friend from the theater group told me that they only had two weeks of preparation. I was completely impressed on how they were able to perform elegantly and do the stage quickly, despite the short span of time. Some casts need improvement in their acting, which can be enhanced through workshops and practice. I HAVE FAITH IN THEM! *heart*

PS: Because of the impact of this play, I'm able to memorize some lines AND I can still see each scene crystal clear!

No comments:

Post a Comment